Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Cold or Clean Toilets?

I have a cold.  My husband had it last week and for our anniversary, he passed it along.  What a gift!  Love him! Ugh!  I hate to be sick.  It is never convenient to be ill.  I have a list as long as my arm of things I need to do around the house, errands that need to be run, Christmas cards, and Christmas shopping.  The house needs a good cleaning after a great holiday weekend with kids and dogs running, playing and drooling (dogs only on the last one). 

Yesterday, I tried to do some of the things on my list.  I should have stayed in bed and slept.  I didn't.  Today I feel worse and now am having to stay in bed.  Of course, I am doing my blog, but that is my 1 thing to do today. 

If I had just stayed in bed yesterday, maybe I would feel better today.  I never give myself permission to be sick.  I don't think anyone does until they cannot get out of the bed.  Why do I and millions of others feel like I need to be a super hero and push through the cold?  What is wrong with taking care of oneself?  Who set the standard on this?  Am I lazy if I stay home?  Wouldn't more people appreciate me not infecting them with my germs? 

It is all in my mind.  I am putting pressure on myself.  Trust me, the world will still turn if I don't clean the toilets today.  Life will go on.  The post offices won't close down if I don't mail my Christmas cards.  It can all wait until I am healthier.

So, for today I am sick.  I am ok with that.  I am going to take care of me.  Are you taking care of yourself? 

No comments:

Post a Comment