Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Focus on the Priority

I love all the great food that shows up for the holidays.  I get so tickled at patients who put off their fill because of Thanksgiving or Christmas.  I must agree that it is hard to turn down aunt Edna's special cake that she only makes during the holiday.  I am just as guilty as the next person.  I need to lose a few pounds, yet I don't want to interrupt my holiday feeding frenzy in order to get my weight back to where it was 6 months ago.  There are white chocolate covered pecans to make and chocolate ginger cookies to consume!  Feed me, feed me, feed me!  Love the holidays!  I can be 'good' in January.

Isn't that how we all got big in the first place?  We noticed that we are gaining weight, but tomorrow is always the better time to start a diet.  Our pants got tight and we just bought the next size up, or better yet: stretch waist!  We 'tomorrowed' ourselves to unhealthy.  I think it is time to focus on the priority.  Health.  Last month at TLCEdge, Mary McNeill, our Registered Dietitian, presented a holiday eating program.  She showed us how we can enjoy some wonderful recipes and not have all the fat.  There was tasting and all around yummyness.  I have even recreated a few of her recipes with success.  If I can do it, anyone can.

So, I plan on enjoying the holidays, but within reason.  I will have a bite or two of the special, once a year, recipes, but I will give myself permission to NOT finish what is served to me.  I won't deny myself, but I certainly don't have to eat half the cake!  I am not going to get swept up with the excitement and eat and drink myself silly.  I will  weigh the same or less on January 1st that I weigh today.  I will continue to exercise throughout vacation.  I will pay attention to the scale and make sure I weigh everyday so nothing sneaks up on me.

Will you join me in a 'no gain' Christmas?

4 comments:

  1. Love this post! I'm getting banded on 12/29, and my surgeon ordered a 3-week liquid protein fast. Today's the first day. It's also my birthday. I had that little voice telling me it's okay to eat today, and wait to start the fast until tomorrow. But I'm doing this because I want to be healthy, and if today's the day, then today's the day. I'm not going to die because I don't enjoy a piece of birthday cake and all the food I can stuff into my overstuffed body. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did well last year over the holidays, even lost 8 lbs over the 2 months. Not so sure I will do as well this year. I put on a teeny bit over TG and I'm working on getting it off.

    I did the one bite thing recently at a party. Someone had brought a "Banana Split" cake. I asked DH to have some so I could sample. I got my one bite.. and it was very good.. and then I got up and did other things so I wouldn't be tempted to have more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have actually lost and/or maintained over the holidays for several years now, even before banding. For me, the trick is to eat less on the days that I am not indulging to make up for the days when I allow myself to have some treats. Good luck everybody.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You hit the nail on the head! My husband thought I was crazy to go for another fill on the Monday before Thanksgiving, but I knew it was time. I was still searching for restriction. Best thing I could have done - I still enjoyed the holiday but walked away down 3 pounds for the week. I told him, this is why I started this process now I need to see it through.

    ReplyDelete