Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Not As Small As I think I am!

Yesterday I was leaving a friend's house who has a circular driveway.  I drive a small car and thought that I could get around her car without driving on her grass.  Well, I am not even to the end of the block before she calls and tells me that I am not as small as I think I am.  Apparently I had driven over her grass.

We giggled about her comment, but it did make me think.  When we go through a large weight gain or loss, people get body dysmorphic.  I call it BBI, bad body image.  People think they are either larger or smaller than they really are.  Once I had lost 200 pounds, I found myself trying to shop in the plus size department.  I was no where near a plus size, but I thought those clothes would fit.  Of course when I was bigger, I would order size large from catalogues and would be genuinely shocked that they wouldn't fit.

For years after I had lost weight, I would look in the mirror and see the 340 pound person still in there.  It took me forever to get rid of her.  We can get BBI from just some slight changes in your body.  Lately, I have been working out more often and have noticed my body changing.  Things that were jiggly are now muscle.  I look in the mirror and am kind of shocked.  I am about to be 50 years old and my body is getting leaner and meaner!  I have to really look at myself when I look in the mirror.  I have to be honest with my image.  Are you honest with yours?


No comments:

Post a Comment