Friday, January 21, 2011

YOU'RE SO VAIN!

I fell last Friday night.  On my face!
I was walking our dog and tripped.  Dog went one way and I went the other, I stopped my fall with my face.  I was able to hit redial on my phone and call my husband.  I screamed for him to grab a towel and come get me.  My fabulous dog stayed by my side and started barking when Nick came running out the door.  She got an extra treat the next day.

There was blood everywhere!  The right side of my face looked like I had been drug across the street.  My lip swelled to larger than Angelina's.  We thought that my nose might have been broken.  Argh.  We cleaned everything up and I decided that I wouldn't be leaving the house for the rest of the weekend.  When my stepdaughter saw me, she winced and said it was hard to look at me (Insert joke here).  The worst part of this accident is that my husband and I go to one dinner dance a year.  That party is Friday.

Once Monday came, I had to go public with my face.  First of all, I am very lucky, nothing permanently harmed or broken.  All should eventually go back to the way it used to be.  I discovered 3 things from this experience.

1.  Falling on your face hurts!  A lot!  Sneezing is not fun when your face is messed up.

2.  Oh my gosh, I am SO vain!  I have spent so much time in the mirror and trying to care for the cuts and bruises.  Every bump has been examined.  Creams and elixers have been tested.  Lots of tears too.

3.  The looks people gave me when they first saw me were similar to the ones I got when I was at my highest weight.  People gasped!  These are not my friends or family, but strangers.  The insecurity that I felt when I was over 300 pounds came screaming back.  I did not want to see patients this week.  I didn't want to go anywhere.  I hated the "I am trying to act like this doesn't freak me out, yet it really does" looks from people I didn't know.

I was going to write this on Monday, but at the time I didn't know that I would be healing so quickly.  My nose still hurts and there is lots of pink new skin on my face with bruising, but I am better.  There is a huge difference in my looks from last Saturday to today.  I  have a party to go to tonight.  I am taking a deep breath and am planning to have fun.  Bruises and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment